Sunday, August 25, 2013

If I Built a School...

When I think of my own school I revert back to the ones I attended, from elementary to present day. Each one has characteristics that I would want in my own building. I think about what it would look like and how the atmosphere would feel. I think about the tone of the environment and how the students would like it. How would it be different from the rest? How would it become the best? I want to teach middle school students, so how can I keep my school "with the times?'

Well first comes the structure itself. I dream of long hallways, with twists and turns to keep my students adventurous...not during instruction of course...but something that would keep them thinking and keep them from being bored with the same old thing. I think of a big gym filled with our school colors and themes of our mascot and a cafeteria with options; which is completely the opposite of my personal experience. I even picture dining dollars in which you could purchase a pick me up of Starbucks to get everyone through the day. My classrooms would all have Smartboards and interactive technology for both students and teachers attention. My hallways would influence positivity with hip motivational signs and posters. My school would have clubs that each student could be involved in and a school store that particular students could work in for credit and experience. Each student would be provided with classroom technology so that each nook and cranny of the school becomes a learning environment and each person, teacher student or staff has an opportunity to learn. Our labs would be real science labs, evoking thought and logic while also capturing the mind with fascinating marine animals for each student to study. I would provide a tutoring assistance program so that each student gets the thorough help he or she needs.

The school would be an overall learning environment where everyone can experience some type of educational activity. Actually I, would rather take the roles out of the classroom. Of course I would be over them as an authoritative figure, but I would want to learn as much from them as they learn from me. I want my students to learn efficiently rather than quickly, to understand concepts of different subjects and life itself rather than unnecessary repetition and memorization that most people forget in weeks or even days. I would want my students to know their own worth and everything they are capable of; that any and everything they want to accomplish they can, despite what those who didn't themselves, might tell them.

The overall theme of the school would be respect, communication and character teaching each student that those are the three things most needed with interaction in life. Testing is realistic and necessary, but I would bring back learning the joy of school and how it doesn't have to be a fearful scary or overwhelming environment. I want my students to know this joy and know that while the journey through school can get tiring and frustrating, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The joy that one would receive as they accomplish each level of education is greater than the trying times of the process.

My school will become a home away from home for my students and teachers, providing a learning environment for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. The school you described sounds very fun and entertaining. Having clubs that are appealing to all students sounds like a great idea. Posters and quotes along the wall would be very inspiring for students if they are feeling overwhelmed or just having a bad day. However, some aspects of your dream school do not seem age appropriate. I believe in making schools a more welcoming place but winding hallways, to me would be something geared more towards elementary students. With middle school aged kids an open floor plan where they can easily socialize would seem more age appropriate. Also, parents may not want their middle schooler’s drinking Starbucks. But I can see you put a lot of thought into your dream school, and it sounds like an exciting place! And much better than my middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. High school students are very difficult to teach and I love the fact that you are catering to them ,but also setting standards when it comes to learning. Keeping the students thinking is very important. Doing away with the whole memorization is a great idea, it puts me in the mind of our EDM310 class as a whole. Every teacher learns from their students, but never really gives them a voice in the actual classroom, it's great that you would allow this in your school. Overall your school would be great, I would have elaborated a little more on the tutoring. You have great ideas and I would have loved to see exactly how you would draw your students in to actually attend tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Thoughtful.

    Did you watch the Mitra video. It appears that you did not since it is never mentioned.

    ReplyDelete