Sunday, September 8, 2013

Peer Editing


Video: "What Is Peer Editing?"
The peer editing video proved to be a big help when I was editing classmate's blogs. I gave them compliments on simple things like grammar and communicated my feelings towards their blog in a positive way. I think this sets the tone of how the other person is going to take my critique. I then included suggestions via email, so that the corrections suggested could be made without everyone knowing there was any needed.

Slideshow: "Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial"
I think that one of my main reflections on peer editing is that whenever I am editing my group member's or classmate's work, I should stay positive and correct or edit them as if I was receiving the editing myself. No one wants to be called out in a rude or negative way and no one really wants to be critiqued period, so when you have to do so having a positive attitude would help the editing and correcting be taken in a better way. The peer edit tutorial showed me that it is all about delivery when critiquing and editing someone's work. It taught me that one should start with compliments, moving to suggestions and ending with minor corrections, but not telling them what to do or doing the work for them. These three steps to peer editing would make you and the other person a better writer and a better peer editor.

Video: "Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes"
This video made some very valid points. I wish some of my peers from school could have watched this before editing my work in earlier grades. The video showed that being a Picky Patty was not a positive way of editing. When we edit each others work, or as teachers edit our students work, we're supposed to build confidence while correcting others. Picky Patty picks out unnecessary things and the way she corrects her peers is rude which could break a person's confidence completely. For me, confidence is a big thing I want to ensure my students have while learning and growing in my classroom. Mean Margret's are filled with negativity. This video showed me that we can edit each others work without being mean. Being mean when correcting doesn't help anyone understand why they need to correct their mistake. Peer editing creates a way for everyone to learn: the editor in how to correct someone positively and the writer in how and why they need to correct their mistakes.

I chose to email my group members to peer edit their blogs. I feel that in emailing them personally gives them a better insight on my thoughts on their blog and presents my suggestions without coming off negatively in their comments. These videos and the slideshow definitely helped me peer edit my group members blogs. They gave me insight on what to say and how to say it and how to remain positive when giving suggestions and corrections to my group members work.

3 comments:

  1. Our views are similar; the information on peer editing has helped as a guide on what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...and no one really wants to be critiqued period,...." I don't agree. Some people want to learn how to do something better and are eager for help, even critiques. Especially athletes, performers, scientists, artists, etc. But not educators who should be the most eager learners!

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You had links,pictures, good grammar, and great point of views. I am glad I am not the only one who wants their kids to confident, I believe confidence is an important key to getting an education. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete