Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blog #14

In EDM 310 we have discussed things like technology in the classroom, what we have learned from other teachers and lesson plans for our students. I think that one thing we did not focus on was classroom management and control when using technology. I think a good blog post would have been to explain different ways to have good classroom management and control while our students use and experiment with these expensive technological tools. The Blog would be: "How Classroom Management, Discipline and Control Be Effectively Enforced In Your Technologically Advanced Classroom?"

How Classroom Management, Discipline and Control Be Effectively Enforced In Your Technologically Advanced Classroom? My ideal place to work would be in an inner city, minority school. With this being said, I understand that my students may not come from families who have a lot of money or families that can provide them with different technology tools that more privileged kids would have. I prefer to work with these kids. These students also may come with behavior problems inside and outside of the classroom. I think that they should be introduced to these tools despite that. Who knows? It could give them an incentive, a boost of motivation, or simply just provide a more exciting, hands-on way of learning. In math, we do a lot of hands-on group projects. One of the projects I have for my students is creating their own 3D geometrical shapes. Introducing technology into the classroom, I might have the students video their process of working in groups: assembling their geometrical shapes and working as a team. I would have one person out of the group to be the narrator/recorder.

Classroom Management
I realize that this may cause some outside disruption in the classroom, both the use of tablet for video and the group work itself. Students can get silly, playful and off task while working in groups with their peers. For classroom management and control while working in groups and with an expensive technological tool, I would make sure I circulate throughout the groups and keeping a strong eye on those who have been chosen to be the video recorder. My classroom noise level would remain at a certain height, not exceeding the limit that could disturb other groups or even other classrooms. I would time the groups so that they could be thoroughly monitored and helped if needed. I think this keeps everyone on task, allows me to circulate and make sure each group understands the task at hand and gives the students to work and learn the material without a lecture being involved.

Classroom Discipline
In my opinion, the use of technological tools is a privilege, but also is necessary for the advancement of our students. As stated before, students easily get off task, silly and playful when working in groups. In my experience, there is always that one that pushes the limit to what they think they can get away with in the classroom. While I do think it is necessary for their overall diversity and advancement of their education, it is also something that can be taken away. Sometimes our students, not having one of their own, can abuse what is provided for them. For example, using the tools for something other than for educational use, constantly getting off task, or simply being careless with the use of the tool. I think technology in the classroom, especially tools like tablets, is something extra and fun to offer the students but not mandatory. They can learn the same information with a book and paper...it just might not be as fun. Being that it is a privilege, I would have the students come up with the rules and follow up make the rules as visibly and understandably clear as day in the classroom. If I caught them not following the technology rules then for that activity, the technology used would be taken away from them. If the offense was reoccurring, they would not be able to use it period. They would work alone, taking it back "old school" with a good book, pencil, and paper.

I think classroom management, control and discipline are key when using technology and group work. They set the expectations, tone and standard for the students behavior, especially when working in groups and with technological tools. Working in a school now, I see daily where the discipline and classroom management play a key role in how your class, lesson and tasks/activities will flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment